After I finished my 1940s Pyjama Playsuit, I had just enough fabric left to make an alternative top to match the playsuit shorts. I wanted to create another sun top, like this one I made before. That way I would have two 1940s playsuit outfits in one! So I started cutting my sun top, a different style this time but from the same pattern, Simplicity 1462*. Take a look at the process below.
And so another Sewing Bee challenge is complete! Continuing the WW1 theme, this challenge was again inspired by war time austerity but unlike the previous challenge, challenge No. 2 required us to make something new from something old. Or as I would call it, a refashion!
I love a refashion. I think it is so inspiring to transform something unwanted or unloved into something new and exciting. For this refashion, I headed to my local charity shops to find a likely looking garment for a makeover. I struck gold with this enormous, boxy maxi-dress which was … 100% linen eek!
Take a look at my latest project, a playsuit refashion.
Refashioning is a great way to get more life out of a garment that is maybe past its best. The idea is not a new one, in fact I get a lot of my refashioning ideas from Make Do and Mend, the WW2 advice pamphlet.
However, it has been a little while since I have taken the time to actually do one. I have a list of possible makeovers a mile long. But recently, thanks to my health being on the blink, I have had lots more free time for this sort of thing.